Thursday, July 14, 2011

Budget time!

New houses = new expenses. There's the higher mortgage we'll be paying, new furniture and electronics needed to fill the house, costs associated with moving, costs associated with living on an acreage, and costs we'll incur along the way as we add or change things to the build. In an effort to save money and tighten our pursestrings, we're now operating with a budget. I mean a real one where cash is withdrawn every paycheque and money is allotted to each category of spending. No credit cards allowed either!

Tomorrow will mark the second pay period we're doing this for and I have to say that so far, we're doing quite well. We even have money left over in each category to roll over. It's taken some time and energy (and will power) to make it work but it really has been going great. More money is getting thrown into savings than ever before and neither Devin or I feel like it's a hinderance.

Shopping takes a bit more planning. I used to just go and get random items it felt like. Now I collect coupons (no extreme couponing as it's impossible in Canada), look at the flyers and let that dictate what we eat for the next two weeks, and make a list and stick to it!! We know we have some things coming up that will cost money so now we figure out where the money will come from and set aside the money upfront.

It feels really great to know where our money is going now and to know that none of it is being wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment