Monday, May 16, 2011

Lost


Last night was the worst night so far with Hayden. Usually Hayden will sleep for 1.5-2 hours and then is up hungry again wanting to eat. Sometimes he just wants to be awake (usually from 2-4am) wide-eyed and alert. Last night the most he slept for at a time was 1 hour. From 4-5am I got a good solid sleep in. That's it.

He just kept waking up. I'd change him, feed him and try to get him back to sleep with no luck. He either wanted to be held, or decided he was hungry again, or was just plain fussy, or spit up, or poop, or pee through his diaper and I'd have to change him and start the whole process again.

I feel so lost with him. With Hudson, I felt like there was a short time where I was getting used to caring for a baby and was able to figure out his needs in a few days. Now with Hayden, I feel like nothing I'm doing is working and I don't know what to do to help him. Like I can't figure out what he wants. Almost like this whole baby thing is brand new to me.

I've spent more time googling different causes for his fussiness and different methods and
tricks to get him to sleep more than an hour at a time. I've elevated the head of his bassinet in case it's reflux. I've made sure he naps downstairs in the noise and light and it's dark and quiet at night when he sleeps in case his clock is out of whack. We've switched his formula to lactose free which seemed to help Hudson when he was a newborn. We warm up his milk (Hudson used to drink it straight from the fridge) in case it's stomach cramps and it's causing him pain. He drinks soley from Dr Brown bottles to help with gas. He's burped well, kept warm, passes gas easy, and otherwise is left comfortable.

I just don't know what to do anymore. I feel like I've exhausted every single thing I know how to do. And nothing I'm doing seems to be helping at all.

You'd think with the second, things would come to you like second nature but I feel like I'm missing something or just clueless on what to do.

Who knows, maybe it's not something I can fix. Maybe it's just something he needs to grow out of. Either way, I wish I knew the answer.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you are feeling so lost. Hopefully you can figure it pit real soon.

    ReplyDelete